Wednesday 7 August 2013

The Cure for Overwhelmed?

Hello. I’m a published author and I've suffered from Author Overwhelmed Syndrome (AOS).

I don’t think I’m alone in this.

When my debut novel, Night Swim, came out in January 2012, I said yes to every invitation, blog request, book event that came my way. It was a thrilling, stimulating time. --My dream realized. But, then, I couldn't stop. I went into overdrive aka "whip-myself-everyday-for-not-not doing-enough" overdrive. Eventually, my inner gears wore down, the ones that run the machine of who I am. I began to malfunction.

Anxiety. Depression. Lack of sleep. Chronic fatigue? Those were the signs. I was speeding downhill, nothing to stop me except a big fat tree at the bottom of the road.



Every profession has its demands.  Every dream has its responsibilities.  Maybe this overwhelmed-ness is an American syndrome.  But I also know that different professions and industries have developed stopgaps, protection measures (or, I like to think so, anyway) for its workers.  We have minimum wage for instance. We have overtime pay for hourly wage employees, we have health benefits—you get the idea—all meant to keep people out of danger zones. What about my industry?

As the publishing world continues to erupt and transform, authors are doing a lot of heavier lifting--maybe more than ever--simultaneously promoting books, hosting and posting on blogs, writing their next books, working second jobs (because most authors do not get advances large enough to cover yearly living expenses), and keeping up on industry changes that impact book sales.

So, I wonder? When is it okay for an author to say:  Enough.

How can authors--how can I--elude the sticky Venus fly trap of AOS?  At what point do these efforts to self-promote produce diminishing mental health and/or insignificant book sales?  What are the signs?

The answer to that is unique to each author. But, here's a few suggestions to consider. 

First, begin by assessing the five big-picture areas of your life: family, health, finances, recreation, creative work.  Do you have time and energy to tend to the needs of your family? (kids? aging parents? spouse or partner?) Are you taking care of your health? What is your current financial picture? Do you need to take on additional work to support your monthly living expenses? Do you have time for play?(Yeh, play. It's important.) Are you getting enough Sleep?  Rest?  Do you have time and, equally important, energy to write?

From there I came up with a few energy re-alignment strategies that have helped me so far.  Maybe they will help you, too.

·         Engage in a non-verbal activity for one hour every day, seven days a week.  I like to take pictures with my smart phone. It works on a different side of my brain and refreshes me.  There’s no pressure to perform or get it right. Gaze out the window. Meditate. Play your guitar. Pray. Do anything that doesn't require pen and paper or computers.

·         Exercise every day - Walk, run, bike, yoga, sex; whatever gets your physical body in gear and is fun. Dance around your living room.

·         Commit to unplugging at least 1 hour before bed every night. Do this for 10 nights straight and it will become a habit you won’t want to give up.  What will you do? Read, of course. Your brain will thank you.

·         Schedule one afternoon or night every week at least (no exceptions) to play.  See friends. Watch movies. Read! Go to the beach. You are not wasting your time. You’re watering your spirit, your creative self. The payback is inspiration and renewed excitement around creative projects.

·         Say no to things. This is most difficult for me.  I want to please.  I don’t want to miss that next opportunity. But saying no has become necessary for my physical, mental and creative health.  

    The essential, ongoing question around all of this is: Are you taking care of  yourself? Nothing more, nothing less. That's the bottom line. 




Jessica Keener’s new collection of stories, Women In Bed, is forthcoming October 1, 2013. A new edition of her debut novel, Night Swim, will be out on September 10. She is recovering from AOS.

No comments:

Post a Comment